Saturday, May 11

Saturday Pseudo-Steam for May 11, 2013

A few weekends ago we had a beautiful burst of hot summery weather out here on the Bay, which was the perfect time to try out one of my newest wardrobe pieces, a pseudo-Steampunk military-esque vest:

Vest/top by Jones Wear Jeans
"Cocoa-nuts" skirt found at Clockwork Couture and tambukiki on eBay
Caterpillar "Marin" boots in "coffee"


 Earrings by ElainaLouise on Etsy


I originally planned to layer the vest over tops, but that warm summery day I got the urge to try it on its own.  I've been pondering and playing with how one might achieve a Real World Steampunk Summer Wardrobe.  Let's face it--all the most effortless steampunky clothing bits are for colder weather, like adorable boots, high-necked coats, and tights.  What does summery Steampunk even look like?

The first thing that comes to my mind is safari. So that's what I decided to play with that Saturday. . .



Shoulder bag by Coach, from all the way back in the early nineties.   I love it that the purse I've had forever is pretty steampunk-compatible.



And did you notice the boots?  Yes, I did try those Caterpillar boots in the different color, and absolutely loved them.  Unlike the dark brown Marin boots, these are beautiful leather, and I enjoy the contrasting leather, esp. the detail at the ankle, which creates interest even with boot-cut jeans. These boots are so comfortable, so well-made.  I highly recommend them!


Sandals by Pikolinos

Just for fun, I tried the same outfit but dressed up with sandals and hair back. 

So, part of the reason I pose and post is because the camera is an excellent mirror, and it is so helpful to see an outfit from a step back, so I can evaluate how the elements are really working.  Or not.

I'm still not sure what I think about this look, either the casual or dressier.  I'm thinking it looks best with the sandals. . . But can my pale, old-lady arms pull off that vest as a top?  I'd be thrilled if anyone wanted to give (kind) feedback in the comments.

Happy Saturday, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks again for featuring my earrings. Love those boots! They are drool worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So stylish indeed!Looking absolutly fabulous and those boots are just supergorgeous!

    ReplyDelete